Biking is good for the body and the most efficient form of transportation we have ever created: converting calories into gas, a bicycle gets the equivalent of three thousand miles per gallon!! So enjoy that bike!
Great bicycling resources:
- Even if you think you know them already, take a minute and review the Rules of the Road for Cyclists and Maine’s new bicycling laws introduced and advocated for by the Bicycle Coalition of Maine.
- The Portland area Bike Commuter Meetup “This group seeks to encourage bicyclists and potential bicyclists specifically around commuting and transportational cycling. While there are many concerns that are common to all bicyclists, transportational cyclists will be more concerned with certain aspects of the activity than are other cyclists, such as riding in all kinds of traffic and weather conditions, and carrying stuff around. A large part of our mission is to share solutions that we have found to these challenges, and support beginners who want to learn them, in a fun and supportive environment!”
- For a weekly ride that fits your needs, check out the Bike Coalition of Maine’s comprehensive list of Maine weekly rides.
- Bike Route Map from the Portland Bike Commuter Meetup – over a half dozen commuting routes that at least one Meetup member takes. If you have any questions about a route, or would like someone to ride it with you, just click on the route to see who it belongs to, and ask them using the email addresses provided. If you are interested in adding to the map, contact John Brooking, the Meetup organizer for instructions.
- Another Greater Portland Bike Route Map – Check out this link for a super comprehensive map designed by local cyclist and bike-ped advocate Christian McNeil!
- Rent (for cheap!) Folding Bikes for easy travel - from the Portland Bike Commuter Meetup and Portland Green Streets. Click here for more info
- GREAT VIDEO: How to put your Bike on the Bus – A short clip designed and produced by GoMaine and Greater Portland Council of Governments.
- Portland Trails – This website has a great trails map with extensive trails information for Portland and adjoining towns.
- Bicycle Coalition of Maine – Maine’s statewide advocate for bicycle safety and education. For adults: Check out their Bike Safety Education offerings and Employer’s Guide to Encouraging Bicycle Commuting for some great tips. For students: Check out the awesome Maine Safe Routes to School Program!
- GO MAINE - Log on and register as a biking commuter to be eligible for all of GO MAINE’s commuter benefits, including their Emergency Ride Home Guarantee and regular prize drawings.
- Portland Police Department Bike Registry – Register your bike to greatly increase the likelihood it is returned to you if it’s stolen. A great new service for cyclists offered by Portland PD!
- Explore Maine – Check out the website for state wide bike routes and other cycling information, too!
- City of Portland Bicycle Pedestrian Advisory Committee – to get involved in local bicycle access advocacy! To find out all that is going on, come to the monthly meeting, and/or subscribe to the Bike-Ped listserve. To join the listserve, send an e-mail to: Portland-BikePed-Commfirstname.lastname@example.org and write “Subscribe” in the subject line.
- Clif Bar 2 Mile Challenge - 40% of U.S. urban travel is two miles or less; Ride your bike to fight global warming. Check out this fun site to see a birds-eye view of your two-mile radius – enter your address at the top of the page in the “My 2 Miles” box – and be inspired!