Walking is a great way to arrive where ever you’re headed in a good mood while taking care of your body, too! In the Portland area you can mix your walk up with trails, side streets and major thoroughfares!
Check out the possibilities:
- Portland Trails – Look at the website for trails information for Portland and adjoining towns.
- Greater Portland Bike Routes (and thus also walk routes). Check out this link for a super comprehensive map designed by local cyclist and bike-ped advocate Christian McNeil!
- GO MAINE – Don’t forget to log on and register as a walking commuter to be eligible for all of GO MAINE’s commuter benefits, including their Emergency Ride Home Guarantee and regular prize drawings.
- Healthy Maine Walks – Check this out for fun walk route information – and to post your own!
- Maine Department of Transportation’s Safe Routes to School Program. They partner with Bicycle Coalition of Maine to provide walkability ideas, information, and education.
- Explore Maine – Check out the website for statewide walk routes and other information, too.
- City of Portland Bicycle Pedestrian Advisory Committee – to get involved in local pedestrian advocacy! To find out all that is going on, come to the monthly meeting, and/or subscribe to the Bike-Ped listserve. To join the listserve, send an e-mail to: Portland-BikePed-Commemail@example.com and write “Subscribe” in the subject line.