On June 15th, Morgan Malley our PGS intern traveled to cPort Credit Union in Portland to ask their bike commuters a few questions about their experience using sustainable transportation. This is what we learned:
How did this group start? What was the motivation to start biking to work? How long have you been biking to work? How far is your commute?
Evan Lovely: Started out of necessity for financial reasons, which led to a carless lifestyle choice
- This started a movement in the office for additional employees to commute by bike
- Ahlya Whitten: 1.5 miles away
- Evan Lovely: 6 miles away
- Tracy Treubig: 1 mile away
What are some of the benefits you’ve noticed/ gained from biking to work?
- Financial savings: with increasing gas prices, a lot of $ is saved each month (All)
- Improved fitness and stamina: Lost 15 lbs. in the last 2 months
- Biking has led to increased energy and transition to working out regularly (All)
- Time Saver: more direct, faster route to work (Evan, lives on the hill)
- Enjoyable/Stress Reliever: kick starts the day and lets you unwind after work (All)
- Alleviate the congestion of being in traffic (Ahlya)
- Environmentally conscious: decreases carbon footprint (All)
- Enjoyable and easy!!! (All)
What are some of the challenges you’ve faced on the road or in general in biking as a primary mode of transportation?
- Very little, the largest being the weather (Evan)
- Despite lack of bike infrastructure (i.e. bike racks, lanes, ect) the most challenging aspect is just getting started, matter of preparation (All)
- Everyone noted it was much easier than they thought
Does cPort offer any benefits to employees for using sustainable transportation?
- No current benefits per say, but provided new bike rack promptly
- Carpool program for employees (Tracy participates frequently)
- June 24th every employee who participates in sustainable transportation, name goes into raffle for Panera Bread gift certificate
Any good stories from the road?
- Amazed at how much better you feel in the morning (All)
- Tracy: “Gets the endorphins going and gives you a sense of accomplishment every day before you even start working”
Any advice for others considering trying new ways to get to work?
- Tracy: “The biggest challenge is mentally, getting committed to doing it”
- Evan: “You don’t realize how much time you spend in the car until you stop driving one”
- Ahlya: “Try it out!”