Last Free Fare Friday
This Green Streets Day will also be the last holiday Free Fare Friday on all local bus services. Celebrate the end of the season with one (or more!) free rides on METRO, South Portland Bus Service, Shuttlebus, and ZOOM. For route, schedule, and fare information, check out:
- METRO service to Falmouth, Portland, South Portland, and Westbrook
- South Portland Bus Service in South Portland and Portland.
- Shuttlebus Intercity service between Portland, South Portland, Scarborough, and Old Orchard Beach
- Shuttlebus Tri-Town service between Biddeford, Saco, and Old Orchard Beach
- Zoom Turnpike Express service between Biddeford, Saco and Portland
- Want to try putting your bike on the bus? METRO, South Portland Bus and Shuttlebus all have bike racks. Here’s a great video to show you how to do it ahead of time – and when in doubt you can always ask the driver.
- For public transit information all over Maine, definitely check out the Explore Maine website.
Note: All South Portland Bus riders can enter the drawing for a special Holiday 20-ride bus pass. Four winners will be picked on Dec. 26th!
METRO Route #1 and Route #6 Changes
Beginning January 12, 2009, Greater Portland Transit District (METRO) will provide weekday service (M-F) to Mercy at the Fore. METRO Route #1 will be extended to provide service to Mercy’s Fore River Campus, located on the Fore River Parkway, past St. John Street in Portland. There is no evening service (last scheduled weekday stop at Mercy at the Fore is at 5:53 p.m.), holiday or weekend service to Mercy at the Fore.
Important notice to all METRO riders: This extended service will change the current METRO #1 Route time schedule, and will impact bus service for ALL stops along the #1 Route.
The updated METRO Bus #1 Route and Time Schedule can be downloaded here (pdf), effective date – January 11, 2009 (listed on the front of all schedules). It will also be available – beginning in January – from bus operators, at the METRO Pulse at Elm Street, and online at www.gpmetrobus.com. For more information, please call METRO at 774-0351.
Also effective in January, METRO Route #6 will no longer provide (twice daily) service to Maine Ave. and Virginia Street.
South Portland Bus Service
Our latest organizational sponsor (sign in to win a Ten Ride Ticket this month!), the South Portland Bus Service, provides three routes in and around South Portland. This includes service into downtown Portland to connect with the Greater Portland METRO on Congress Street – with free transfers to increase service area coverage through Portland and to Falmouth, and Westbrook.
Route 1- Willard Square runs from 6:30 AM to 7:45 PM and covers Meeting House Hill, Southern Maine Community College (SMCC), Ferry Village, Waterfront Market areas into Downtown Portland.
Route 3 – Crosstown runs from 8:00 AM to 2:30 PM and covers The Meeting House Hill, Southern Maine Community College (SMCC), Ferry Village, Waterfront Market, Stanwood Park, Cash Corner, West Broadway, Redbank, and into the Maine Mall and surrounding retail area
Route 4 – Maine Mall runs from 6:00 AM to 10:00 PM and covers the Maine Mall and surrounding retail area, Thorton Heights, Cash Corner, Pleasantdale, Waterfront Market areas, and into Downtown Portland.
Additional information to know:
- Regular fare is $1.25 / 10-ride ticket is $11.00
- Student fare is $1.00 with school I.D. / 10-ride ticket is $9.00
- Seniors and disabled .60 cents with proper I.D. / 10-ride ticket is $5.50
- All buses are lift equipped and wheelchair accessible
- Bicycle racks on all buses with no additional charge, rack holds two bicycles
- For more information call us at 767-5556, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or visit their web page
- The Bus Service office is located at 46 O’Neil St. South Portland, Maine 04106. Business hours are 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM, and for schedule info 6:00 am – 10:30 PM.
- South Portland Bus promotions include: All brand-new riders looking to start using the bus can get a free 10-ride bus ticket to learn the system. Anyone buying the SoPo Bus 10-ride tickets can turn them in when they are used up to any driver – with name and address written on the back- and enter it into a drawing for a free 10-ride bus ticket; 4 winners picked each Friday. South Portland residents should also check their Super Coupon Mailer for free ride coupons for the SoPo Bus! For more info, contact Richard Sargent at email@example.com